November 20, 2020  |  COVID-19 Update

Dear Educo Community,

Here we are in the month where the summer calendar would usually be announced and summer registration would usually kick off. We’re posting this now in order to give everyone a heads up that we’ve decided to push the release of the 2021 calendar and the opening of 2021 registration to sometime in January. So hold tight, it’s all coming soon!

Our full-time team is currently working hard to create not just one solid plan for 2021, but multiple solid contingency plans as well. We’re continuously staying up to date both with provincial regulations and industry standards, including attending the Wilderness Risk Management Conference and participating in BC Camps Association Town Halls, so that we can develop and share program-specific COVID-19 policies and protocols alongside our program offerings and dates. We are aware that we’ll need to be adaptable and creative in how we run, so that we can ensure fun and learning takes place while we continue to uphold health and safety as our top priority.

In the meantime, we would like to invite you to join us online in lieu of a Fall Clean Up Weekend to connect, laugh, and learn with each other as a community. Everyone is welcome! One benefit of a virtual space is that location need not be an issue, so we hope to see as many people as possible. For the full details and to RSVP, please visit our Eventbrite page: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/educo-community-open-house-2020-tickets-130041695211.

Hope to see you on the 28th,

The Educo-JUMP! Canada Team (ie. Amber & Arizona)

May 26, 2020  |  COVID-19 Update

Dear Educo Community,

Educo is a place that draws forth and brings out the best in each of us. Educo is a community of people who have grown together for generations. Educo is a set of experiences that fills our journals with reflections, our minds with memories of magnificent views, and our Rec Hall with course theme flags. As the world moves through a time of great turmoil, it feels like now, more than ever, the world needs more Educo. It is with heavy hearts that we share this update.

BC Camps Association has received a decision from the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, regarding summer camps. Dr. Henry’s team shared with the BCCA that “the risk to public health this summer of overnight camps is too great to endorse.” With this clear directive from public health authorities, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all our open-enrollment programs for the summer of 2020.

We will be reaching out directly over the next week to families who are currently registered to discuss options regarding deposit payments, so keep an eye on your inbox (and perhaps your spam folder as well).

COVID-19 is giving us a moment to pause and draw inspiration from all the course themes that hang in our Rec Hall. One, in particular, has been inspiring our planning through this pandemic: Balance Your Strength. In the spirit of responding to change and challenges with grace and positivity, we will spend the summer focusing on balancing our strengths. We will put our energy into site maintenance and development (renovations, enhancements, groundskeeping, etc) as well as program planning and development (building curriculums for future years, scouting mountain routes, etc). This work will lay the foundation for us to thrive out of COVID-19 and come back stronger than ever in 2021.

If the public health authorities reduce social distancing measures before winter arrives at the site, we will be looking at options for community members to come out to the site to volunteer on work projects and we will provide updates on this when we have them.

If you’re interested in virtual summer camp alternatives for 2020, check out this set of innovative virtual programming: http://jumpfoundation.org/connectedsummer

If you have ideas, questions, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at 250-395-3388.

For those who remember the story: good luck, bad luck, who knows?

The Educo Team

April 7, 2020  |  COVID-19 Update

Much of what was communicated previously remains the same; the main update today is that we are extending our decision regarding spring school and community group programs. We now plan to keep the Educo site closed through June 30th, 2020. We will be reaching out directly to groups that have bookings in June to discuss options.

We are cautiously optimistic that our open-enrollment summer programs will continue forward as planned, which would mean welcoming the first set of students on July 6th, 2020. Our summer programs would be followed by fall school and community group programs in September and possibly early October.

Our team is committed to supporting and inspiring youth however we can through both this challenging stretch and through whatever transitions may come after. We will be sharing online engagement opportunities that are available through our partner, the JUMP! Foundation. If you are a youth between the ages of 13-24 who is interested, or know one who may be, block off April 18th and 19th in your calendar for the Global YouthFest Virtual Conference. For more details or to register for this free event, click here.

If you have ideas, questions, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at 250-395-3388. 

Wishing you all good health and moments of deep connection,

The Educo Team

March 24, 2020  |  COVID-19 Update

As you likely already know, Educo is a place where youth can let loose, have fun, and be accepted for who they are. It’s also a place where they can develop the habit of responding to change and challenges with strength and positivity. We’re watching as the situation develops with COVID-19 to ensure we can continue to hold that space when it is once again appropriate to do so. 

After a lot of thought and research, we’ve made the difficult decision to keep the Educo site closed through May 31st, 2020.  We will be reaching out directly to all partner organizations and schools that have bookings in May to discuss options.

We are following guidelines provided by public health authorities and monitoring recommendations from the BC Camping Association. The health and safety of our students, staff, and community members is our highest priority; all our subsequent decisions will be made with this in mind. 

Based on the current guidelines and recommendations, we plan to open the site for school and community group programs on June 1st and continue with our open-enrollment programs in July and August. 

If you are currently registered or are considering registering, please rest assured that any deposits and/or course fees will be reimbursed in the event that we have to cancel your program due to COVID-19.

We will provide an update every other week regarding potential changes to our 2020 program schedule. The fluidity of information on COVID-19 is unprecedented, so if significant information is available before our scheduled update we will provide it as it comes in. 

In the meantime, remember: it takes a little bit of solitude, and a whole lot of gratitude, and a truly loving attitude, to live in this world today 🎶

Sending love from our homes to yours,

The Educo Team